||Why Speak in Other Tongues?|
1. The baptism in the Holy Spirit with speaking in other tongues is an experience (Acts 2:1-4) that increases God’s Presence in our lives, and our desire for Him. Children, even at age 4 or 5, are ready for this experience! Our youngest son, John, received it at age 5, Margaret at age 6, Constance at about age 10. It is an important key to children living for God and having healthy marriages. Let them hear you speak in tongues much during the day. Per Luke 11:11 “tongues” is always “bread and never a stone. . . and fish and not a serpent.” It is always from God.
2. It enables us to speak directly to God, in a real language, unknown to us, but inspired and directed by the Holy Spirit. "For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, God: but unto God, for no man understands him, howbeit in the Spirit he speaketh mysteries (1 Corinthians 14:2).” It is a language of intimacy, helping us to know God better.
3. Speaking in tongues is a language of Glory--of His Presence. As we pray or sing in tongues, picture Jesus and as we “go deep” in tongues, we will feel His Presence in a new way. 4. It also opens the door to inner transformation through inner healing and deliverance.
5. Because it brings an increase in the anointing, praying in the spirit increases our ability to understand, enjoy and believe the Word of God, and thereby our faith and wisdom are increased. When we speak in tongues, God puts into us wisdom, truth, and understanding about spiritual and natural things, including, marriage, child-raising, business affairs, even inventions and new ideas!
6. St. Paul knew speaking in tongues to be so important that he said, "I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all . . . (1 Corinthians 14:18).” Jesus said, ". . . and these signs shall follow them that believe (That's you and me)… They shall speak with new tongues … . (Mark 16:17). Matthew, Mark, Luke and John all spoke in tongues!
7. It enables us to deeply praise and worship God, usually by singing in tongues.
8. It empowers us to intercede for others and for ourselves more effectively because the Holy Spirit in us prays the perfect prayer in an unknown tongue through us (Romans 8:26‑27)! It is also the key to deep travail and self-travail.
9. Also it increases the power and presence of God within us, enabling us to pray and speak (or sing) more effectively in English. When the disciples were baptized in the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost, “They ALL began to speak with other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance (Acts 2:4).” For “preachers” it increases the anointing upon every area of our ministry!
10. Also, it is the key to enabling us to function more effectively in one or more of the nine gifts of the Holy Spirit, including laying hands on the sick (I Corinthians 12:8‑10) and prophecy.
11. We can intercede in tongues for others. We can praise or worship God in tongues. We can receive answers to questions by praying in tongues, and we can do “warfare” in tongues. It dispels darkness and brings His “Light.”
12. Through praying intensely in tongues a door will be opened enabling us to ascend into the Third Heaven—before the throne of God. As we continue to pray in tongues, even going from one language to another, we will ascend higher and higher into the heavenly realms. From this place, our intercession or worship will produce far greater results.
Pray or sing in tongues every day. Quickly increase it to 30-60 minutes per day. Kenneth Copeland’s lovely wife, Gloria, begins her day with one hour in tongues. For a special breakthrough, pray in tongues for 2-3 hours per day for seven days. Expect wisdom, joy, and peace to increase greatly in your life.
My wife, Pattie, and I pray in other tongues every day and it has transformed our lives in many beneficial ways, and will do the same for you. It is a holy, awesome gift from God to you. Reach out and receive it.
John Chappell, The Chappell Ministries, Inc. PO Box 172, Bartow, FL 33831