||The Blessings of Tithing|
Pattie and I have had personal experience of almost 45 years of tithing and generous offerings. We tithe from our ministry and tithe and give large offerings from our personal income--not to our ministry, but to various others. We support two ministries in the Philippines $150 monthly for years. It is a joy and we reap immense financial, spiritual and other benefits from such stewardship.
Also we have heard and read hundreds of exciting testimonies of those who tithed (10%) and sad testimonies of those who did not. So we are excited about what tithing has done and is doing for us and for others, and will do for you. We also know the negative results in the lives of those who fail to tithe. We desire to see your lives blessed in every area.
Let the teaching below strengthen your faith to give the full 10% (plus extra generous offerings).
This is what Robert Morris, author of the Blessed Life, says about tithing: “With all of my heart I want you to understand something: Tithing is not law to me—It is life! … and to my family. It is a principle that runs throughout the whole bible. We see it predates the law of Moses by thousands of years… He continues, “This principal goes all the way back to the opening chapters of Genesis … We see it about God’s instructions to Adam and Eve about the trees in the Garden of Eden … Exercising faithful stewardship of the garden meant leaving that one tree alone. They were not to take fruit from that tree and consume it. Being faithful stewards meant life to Adam and eve (Pages 47-48, The Blessed Life by Robert Morris).” They thought they were choosing life but they chose death. This is what we do when we keep the 10% for ourselves. We are choosing death not only in our finances, but it has a ripple effect into other areas of our lives. Let’s keep reading and see what Rev. Jack Hayford has to say about tithing.
Tithing Revelation God Gave Jack Hayford!
On Page 100 of “The Key to Everything” Jack Hayford writes:
Before the fall of man, God gave Adam and his wife stewardship over all creation. “… Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it: have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth” (Genesis 1; 27-28).
After this, God said, in effect, “I only ask one thing of you; that you honor the fact that a certain portion of creation is Mine and Mine alone.” That’s essentially what God said when He told Adam not to eat of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil (Gen. 2:16-17).
We usually think of that prohibition as only being to “eat or not to eat.” But the issue was deeper. It was an issue of recognized rights. It involved man understanding and accepting that a small portion of all that he had within his reach was reserved—it belonged to the Lord. The Lord said, "Everything else is yours, but this is Mine.” The tithe, the 10% is God’s and when we are trustworthy and return it to Him, he then blesses us financially and in many other ways. The remaining 90% is ours. This is our opportunity to reap a financial harvest. We need to give as an offering generously from the remaining 90%.
Jack Hayford continues: We are dealing with the same issue when we discuss the tithe—God’s claim to 10% of our income. And that’s why I call tithing “the starting place” for our learning to give—because it relates so directly to our knowing and honoring the difference between what is God’s and what is ours.
“And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s. It is holy to the Lord (Lev.27:430).”
P. 101 … Adam and Eve took God’s portion, thereby not only losing what they thought they would gain, but what they already had as well. … To see the divine claim on 10 per cent of our income and to surrender it in worship, faithfully, is to find life’s financial starting place and life’s essential beginning point of blessing once we’re in Christ.